Rodeo-Hercules Fire District News
New RHFD Images
Doctors Medical Center (DMC) San Pablo Closing April 21
2014 Firefighter of the Year
The District congratulates Engineer Jerry Short as the 2014 Firefighter of the Year. Engineer Short was born and raised in west county Contra Costa County. He attended De Anza High School and received an Associate of Science Degree in Fire Technology from Solano Community College. Hired as a Firefighter in 2000, he worked 12 ½ years for the City of Pinole. He accepted a position with the Rodeo-Hercules Fire District 2013 and is engaged to be married and has three children.
Winter Storm – Sand Bag Locations
Sand bags are available for residents at (Hercules) 2001 Refugio Valley Road and (Pinole) City Parking Lot – 1281 Plum Street
Winter Safety Tips
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, Thanksgiving is the peak day for home fires involving cooking equipment. By making safety part of the Thanksgiving dinner menu, you can avoid preventable cooking fires. Here are some steps to follow when preparing your holiday feast:
- Test your smoke alarms to make sure they are working;
- Keep children at least 3 feet away from the stove; and
- Keep an eye on what you are cooking.
In recent years, deep-frying turkeys has become a popular cooking method. While fried turkey may be a tasty addition to your meal, cooking with deep-fat turkey fryers can be a recipe for disaster! They have a high risk of tipping over, overheating or spilling hot oil – which can lead to fires, burns and other injuries.
For a safer alternative to deep-frying your bird, the National Fire Protection Association encourages the use of an outdoor turkey cooking appliance that does not use oil.
It’s a Clean Sweep
When the temperatures fall, many people use fireplaces, wood stoves and other fuel-fired appliances to heat their homes. Heating is the second leading cause of residential fires in the U.S. Fires confined to chimneys, flues or fuel burners account for 87 percent of these tragedies and are often due to creosote buildup in chimneys and stovepipes. The U.S. Fire Administration encourages these steps and more to keep your home fires burning safely:
- Have your chimney or wood stove inspected and cleaned yearly by a certified chimney specialist;
- Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace opening to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out;
- Do not use flammable liquids to start or accelerate any fire; and
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away from heating sources.
Home fires occur more often in the winter months than any other time of the year. Learn how to properly build and maintain a fire to heat your home with this video series:
hosted by the National Fire Academy Deputy Superintendent. The series includes an overview on inspecting your fireplace, appropriate materials to burn, and how to control the fire to prevent unwanted accidents.
Abandoned Structure Fire – Hercules
Fire crews extinguished a fire at an abandoned historic home in Hercules today, fire officials said. Rodeo Hercules Acting Battalion Chief Darren Johnson said firefighters responded to a structure fire at 12:58 p.m. in a building on Railroad Avenue at Santa Fe Avenue near a set of railroad tracks parallel to the San Francisco Bay Trail.
Johnson said the building was a historical home that had been moved approximately 15 years ago and was sitting on wooden platforms 5 feet above the ground. Firefighters were unable to access the elevated structure and it was almost entirely consumed by flames by the time fire crews arrived, Johnson said. Brush, grass, railroad ties and fence posts were also burning, Johnson said. The structure could not be salvaged.
There were no injuries reported. Johnson said 22 firefighters from Hercules, Rodeo, Pinole, El Sobrante, El Cerrito, and San Pablo doused the blaze within two hours. From Pinole-Hercules Patch Article – November 17, 014